Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 135

Thread: What Up? (Musically Speaking)

  1. #111
    Inactive Member charlie c's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 7th, 2002
    Posts
    1,272
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What Up? (Musically Speaking)

    Well to keep The Who train rolling I grabbed a 2 CD set from The Who fan clubn called
    "A view from a backstage pass" live stuff from 69-76.
    Folks it will melt your speakers. If Live at Leeds is a perfect 10 in teh owrld of The Who this 9.5 real easy.
    The Who have a sloppy element of danger, they stomp on the gas pedal almost loosing control side swiping a few mailboxes along the way but deliver the goods solid!
    "Information is not knowledge.<br />Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty.<br />Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST". Zappa from Joes Garage.

  2. #112
    Inactive Member janet schneider's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 24th, 2008
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What Up? (Musically Speaking)

    The who was a great band for sure!

  3. #113
    moderator gus danger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2001
    Posts
    9,105
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What Up? (Musically Speaking)

    Oh yeah...Who doesn't love The Who? Sounds like another great find Charles!
    Speaking of who....Who doesn't love P!NK?
    I love her new CD called FUNHOUSE!!!

    I give it two thumbs up!!
    Gus
    C'mon over to California Paradise...a friendly hangout for Runaways fans!
    [URL]http://dangerville.ning.com/[/URL]

  4. #114
    Inactive Member Shades Of Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2006
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Thumbs up ron asheton is dead

    On the planet sorrow, there is no tommorrow

  5. #115
    Inactive Member ellanoize's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2003
    Posts
    8,466
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ron asheton is dead

    R.I.P. Ron

    I remember buying the Stooges LP "funhouse at the local Ben Franklin store, I think I paid like $3.99 for it and it quickly became my favorite LP. Most of my friends disagreed and called it noise, but I was caught up in the excitement I heard on the grooves.

    TV Eye, Funhouse and 1970 are still songs that when I hear, I have no choice but to reach for the volume controll and crank it up loud.

    I didn't hear music that excited me that much until the Ramones and Sex Pistols came along a few years later.

    Ron, His brother Scott, Dave Alexander , and Iggy Pop were a pioneering group and Ron will be missed.

    Rock On.

    rog
    I am a man of many facets, some my love me, some may hate me, but it does not affect who I am.

  6. #116
    Inactive Member ellanoize's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2003
    Posts
    8,466
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What Up? (Musically Speaking)

    Kevin Costner & Modern West - Untold Truths

    I just traded for a copy Of Kevins CD and am very happy with my newest aquistion.

    This Cd is kind of hard to place into a catagory, I guess it would be considered Americana or Roots-country music. There are some country elements (Fiddle and slide guitar), but its more than country.
    Kevis distictive voice in my opinion lays somewhere between Springstein's Nebraska era, and Billy Bob Thorton. Of the 12 songs Costner ether wrote or recieve co-writing credits on every song.

    I have been surprised and excited by this CD that now resides on repeat on my MP3 player (Merry Christmas to me)

    check out the video at youtube for "Superman 14"
    YouTube - Modern West "Superman 14"
    I am a man of many facets, some my love me, some may hate me, but it does not affect who I am.

  7. #117
    Inactive Member Shades Of Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2006
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What Up? (Musically Speaking)

    thanks for moving the ron thing here gus. i thought i should have probably posted in here after i posted the thread originally. though the stooges to some are the forefathers of punk and in a lot of ways they are, ron's guitar playing was always a psychedelic acid laced explosion of fuzzbox and wah wah to me. maybe the last bit of the summer of 69 screaming to it's death if you will. anyway you were a big part of my life ron. thank you.
    On the planet sorrow, there is no tommorrow

  8. #118
    Inactive Member Shades Of Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2006
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What Up? (Musically Speaking)

    Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton found dead

    Guitarist's body undiscovered at home 'for several days' say police


    Ron Asheton, the guitarist and bassist with The Stooges, has been found dead today (January 6). He was 60.

    Asheton was found at his home in Ann Arbor this morning, according to police.

    A cause of death is yet to be confirmed, although initial reports suggest that Asheton died of a heart attack.

    Detective Sgt Jim Stephenson told local paper Ann Arbor News that foul play is not suspected. He added that Asheton's body was found on a living-room sofa, and that he appeared to have been dead for at least several days.

    Autopsy and toxicology results are pending.

    Asheton was a founder member of The Stooges, along with his brother (and drummer) Scott Asheton, Dave Alexander (bass) and frontman Iggy Pop.

    Ranked as Number 29 on Rolling Stone's '100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time', Asheton played the seminal riffs on Stooges' classics including 'No Fun', 'Down On The Street', and 'I Wanna Be Your Dog'. He switched to the bass guitar for The Stooges third album, 'Raw Power' (1973).

    After the commercial failure of 'Raw Power', Asheton left The Stooges and played in a series of bands including The New Order (not to be confused with the UK band of the same name), and Destroy All Monsters.

    He later recorded a number of tracks for 1998's cinematic paean to glam rock, 'Velvet Goldmine', along with Mudhoney's Mark Arm, The Minutemen's Mike Watt, Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore and Steve Shelley.

    In 2000, Asheton, along with his brother Scott and the aforementioned Mike Watt, began playing shows together. The band were dubbed 'The New Stooges' by fans, and after Iggy Pop saw them perform, the four decided to reform The Stooges properly.

    The Stooges played their first reunited show in 2003, and went on to release an album of new material ('The Weirdness') in 2007, with Asheton restored to lead guitar duties.

    Touring heavily, including a The Stooges played a memorable set at the 2007 Glastonbury Festival which ended with a mass stage invasion, they also played last year's Isle Of Wight Festival.

    Meanwhile, keep checking NME.COM for more information on Ron Asheton, as well as tributes paid to the guitarist.
    On the planet sorrow, there is no tommorrow

  9. #119
    moderator gus danger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2001
    Posts
    9,105
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Arrow Re: What Up? (Musically Speaking)

    Thanks for understading Shades. I'm happy to have the capability, on this new system and this gave me an opportunity to try it out. It works great!

    I, too, find the loss of Ron Asheton very upsetting. It's sad that he died alone and nobody even knew it for several days!

    R.I.P. Mr. Asheton.
    Gus

  10. #120
    moderator gus danger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2001
    Posts
    9,105
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Arrow Re: What Up? (Musically Speaking)

    george harrison beatles itunes

    Should've been 66 today.
    Miss him! 1050

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Links to Cherie Currie's Websites:http://www.cheriecurrie.comhttp://www.chainsawchick.com
http://www.therunaways.com
http://www.myspace.com/cheriecurrie
http://www.myspace.com/cheriecurriemusic